Maple Bacon Cupcakes With Bacon Buttercream (paleo and gluten free)
For the cupcakes:
- 8 Slices of Zaycon Foods Fresh Premium Hickory Smoked Bacon fat reserved and refrigerated over night. *
- 2 Cups Almond Flour ** 213g
- 1/4 Cup Coconut flour 26g
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp Butter softened to room temperature
- 1/2 Cup Coconut sugar
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp Pure Maple syrup
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Maple extract
- 1/2 Cup + 1 Tbsp Butter softened to room temperature
- 3 Tbsp Bacon fat refrigerated
- 1/2 Cup + 2 Tbsp Pure Maple syrup
- Place a large pan over medium heat, and cook the bacon until golden brown and crispy. Place a small strainer over top of a glass jar and strain the bacon fat into the jar. You will need to fat to make the frosting, but you don't want any little burned pieces of bacon in it. Finely dice 4 slices of the bacon, and leave the rest intact. Set the bacon aside and place the fat into the fridge. This needs to be done the day before you plan to make the frosting, as the fat takes some time to firm up.
- Make the cupcakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl,stir together the almond meal, coconut flour, salt and baking powder until well mixed. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and coconut sugar on high speed using an electric hand mixer, until well combined. Add in the Maple syrup, eggs, vanilla extract and maple extract. Beat until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients, along with the 4 sliced of diced bacon, into the butter mixture and mix until well combined. Let the batter rest of 5 minutes to let the coconut flour begin to absorb the moisture.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tin, until the liners are about 3/4 of the way full. The dough is very thick, so you'll need to spread it out to get a nice, flat top.
- Bake until golden brown, and a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 22-23 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, and the transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting:
- Beat the softened butter and bacon fat in a large bowl on high speed until it is light and fluffy. Pour in the Maple syrup and beat again until fluffy and well combined, scraping the sides of the bowl down as needed.
- Place the frosting into a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes. Chop up remaining bacon and place on top for garnish.
- DEVOUR ***
* You probably won't use ALL 8 slices of bacon, as some is only for garnish, but you do need to cook enough bacon to make enough fat for the icing.
** Gluten free baking is very precise so I HIGHLY recommend that you measure the flours.
*** Store cupcakes in the refrigerator, and then bring back to room temperature when ready to serve. These are also GREAT right out of the refrigerator!