Paleo Ice Cream Sandwiches
Author: Lauren Goslin
Prep time:12 mins
Cook time:28 mins
Total time:40 mins
- ½ c. cocoa powder
- 6 T. coconut sugar, sucanat, or brown sugar, divided
- ⅛ t. sea salt
- 3 egg whites
- ⅛ t. lemon juice
- 1 t. vanilla
- Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (I used Thai Kitchen), refrigerated for at least 12 hours
- 2 drops liquid stevia
- ¼ t. vanilla
- For the cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Grind ¼ cup of the sugar into a powder (I used a coffee grinder to do this).
- Sift the cocoa, the above ¼ cup of sugar, and salt to remove any lumps.
- Add the egg whites and lemon juice to a bowl.
- Beat the egg white mix until 'soft peaks' start to form (about 3 minutes).
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Beat the mixture until stiff glossy peaks form (about 4-5 minutes).
- Using a spatula, fold in the cocoa/sugar/salt mix and the vanilla. This will take a few minutes to all come together.
- Drop large teaspoons of batter onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet (I made 14).
- Bake the cookies for 28 minutes.
- For the whipped cream:
- Open the can of cold coconut milk, and skim off the top layer of thick cream (about the top ⅓ of the can).
- Place the cream into a bowl, and add the stevia and vanilla.
- Beat the cream until it thickens (this only took a couple of minutes for me, but I've read that it can take up to 6 minutes, so be patient!).
- Dollop the whipped cream onto a cooled cookie and top it with another cookies, making a sandwich.
- Repeat this process to make 7 sandwiches.
- Place the ice cream sandwiches into the freezer for 5-15 minutes. Going beyond this amount of time will cause the 'ice cream' to harden, and it will not taste as good.